We recognize the importance of protecting the environment and we offer our guests green options. We realize the need to preserve our environment for future generations and responsibly use our resources to reduce waste. We responsibly offer green options for all our guests and our meetings.
Management and Leadership
Environment Policy Statement
- Environmental Team: Our "green" team meets once a month to discuss our conservation efforts. Our mission is to conserve utilities, water, food, and materials through recycling and waste reduction. The heads of each department make up this team.
- Set Annual Goals: We set annual goals along with monthly goals to reduce our waste and increase recycling efforts. Our goals lead to a plan of action but we consider these efforts to be continuous improvement.
- Environmentally Preferable Procurement or Purchasing Policy: We purchase organic and local, seasonal foods whenever possible. This includes produce and seafood but does not exclude other food types.
- Independently Audited Environmental Management System:
Recycling and Waste Reduction
- Recycling Best Practices:
- Aluminum Cans
- Office Paper
- Printer and copy machine toner cartridges
- Packing Supplies
- Fluorescent Lamps
- Electronics equipment
- Guests are provided the opportunity to Recycle: We provide recycling cans in each of our 24 guest rooms as well as in our meeting rooms.
- Innovative Ideas and Specifics in Recycling: We have encouraged employees to make use of re-usable cups during their work day instead of using cups that are a one use type.
- Waste Reduction Best Practices:
- Instruct housekeeping to save and reuse unopened items
- Use real coffee mugs and no polystyrene products
- Recycle fryer grease
- Filter grease prior to recycling
- Have an effective food inventory control to minimize waste
- Purchase locally grown produce and other foods
- Purchase organic- and 'sustainably-grown' foods
- Do not use polystyrene coffee cups
- When disposable containers are used, they are made from bio-based materials, recycled content
- and/or compostable material
- Use reusable dishware and glassware and minimize use of disposables
- Use water pitchers and filtered water to minimize the use of single-use bottles
- Use screen-based ordering systems
- Use bulk soap dispensers in public restrooms
- Use a last-in/first-out inventory and effective labeling systems
- Encourage suppliers to minimize packaging and other waste materials
- Purchase from vendors and service providers with a commitment to the environment
- Make 2-sided copies / printed materials
- Use electronic correspondence and forms
- Purchase durable equipment and furniture
- Purchase low-VOC carpets and fabrics
- Use latex paints that are low-VOC
- Use reused building materials or those from sustainable sources
- Properly recycle and/or dispose of thinners and solvents
- Perform preventative maintenance on all appliances, HVAC systems, plumbing, and vehicles
- Use less toxic materials
- Use 'integrated pest management' -IPM-
- Minimize use of pesticides and herbicides in landscaping
Linen and Laundry Service:
- Provide optional linen service - Change linens only upon request
- Train house cleaners on process for optional linen service
- Purchase water- and energy-efficient washers and dryers
- Have a plan in place to reduce property water usage
- Perform preventative maintenance to stop drips and leaks
- Have: high efficiency dishwashers
- low flow restrictors on faucets and showerheads
- low flow toilets
- waterless urinals
- composting toilets
- automatic faucets or toilets in public restrooms.
- Pervious pavement, and/or minimization of impervious areas - paving, concrete, etc
- Maintain vegetative buffers around streams and ponds
- Have a plan in place to reduce property energy usage
- High efficiency compact fluorescent light bulbs in all rooms and in canned lighting
- Perform preventative maintenance on HVAC system
- Have individual thermostats for each room
Green Conferences and Events:
- Include information on Green Meetings & Conferences in our marketing materials
- Our managers carpool to all corporate trade shows & events as well as bridal shows.
By implementing a program to recycle cardboard, we have reduced our waste costs by an average of $122 per month or $1464 per year. By installing a waterless propane tank system for our Garden House reception facility, we have reduced our propane costs by 10% a year.